Hi! I’m Jlee (short for Jennifer Lee) and this is my blog…The Working Mom’s Challenges, Rewards, or Whatever I Feel Like That Day. Thank you for stopping by and I look forward to sharing my story with you.
This blog (and I) have grown tremendously since its conception in March 2010. It began as a lot of rants on etiquette from a crabby pregnant chick, followed by the ups and downs of new motherhood after the birth of my daughter, the Chiquita, on 7/22/2010. We eased into a routine after the Chiquita spent four days in the NICU, but shortly after, a near death experience on 8/22/2010 landed me in the ER and I was diagnosed with Post Partum Depression.
My Post Partum Depression was a central part of this blog for a long time. I was in a downward spiral, and blogging – something I love – was sadly bringing me down. I couldn’t handle the criticisms I was facing. Readers were calling me “crazy” which let’s face it, I was crazy, but I was actually dying inside and reaching out for help. Unfortunately, no one can help you but yourself.
My big Italian family had disowned me years prior which thus began my battle with depression and anxiety. I’d always suffered from normal teen angst, but felt safe and secure in the bubble that was my family. When my family unit broke down I grieved for many years. I was diagnosed with PMDD, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, but had managed to live a fairly normal life through friends, working out and alcohol.
But, the birth of the Chiquita sent me into a tailspin I never thought I would get out of. It was a nightmare I was sure I wouldn’t wake up from. I lived in a fog. I contemplated suicide. I hated my husband. I wanted to run away. I was failing.
I hit bottom in February 2011. I took 6 months off from life. For six months I worked, I journaled, I attended therapy, I went to the gym, and I spent a lot of time getting to know my daughter. My marriage suffered tremendously. My friendships suffered. But, I made it through, and I came out a stronger and more compassionate person. Thank you, God!
I’m desperate to have another baby, but I’m not sure God wants that for me; for my family. I’m OK with that, as there are times I still struggle with depression, anxiety, insecurity and anger. I am a work in progress. I have a huge heart and am extremely loyal, but if I feel burned I shut down for fear of being hurt again. There is no greater hurt then that of losing people you love.
So this blog is my journey. It’s the good and it’s the bad….you will love things I say (hopefully!) and you will hate things I say. I wake up every morning trying to be a good person, and yes, there are days I fail. But the important thing is that I get up tomorrow, and I try all over again.
Thank you for your support! xx
Jlee’s Quick Stats
- Age 33; Astrology sign Taurus
- Born and raised in the Chicago Suburbs
- I am a child of divorce
- I have been married for 5 years, and I have a 2.5 year old daughter
- I have two cats, Kennedy & Kelsey
- I am 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Irish; complete with the bad temper – oh and it’s gravy, not sauce
- I have a Bachelor’s in Mass Communication w/a minor in English. Yes, like everyone else I have written a book. Click on ‘Book Except‘ for info.
- Yes, I’m a former sorority girl. Don’t judge….
- I am a lifelong tortured Cubs fan, but I’m seriously so over the Cubs right now….
- I was not raised with religion in my life but I think of myself as a spiritual person
- I only talk politics with people who agree with me.
- I strongly support The Alzheimer’s Association ~ I am on the Walk to End Alzheimer’s Committee
- I have a full time job that gets in the way of my writing…only joking if the boss reads this!
- For real, I’m an office manager for a remodeling company and I do enjoy going to work everyday to keep my sanity!
Some of My Favorite Pictures